All Exchange Visitors (both J-1 principals and J-2 dependents) are required to have sickness, accident, medical evacuation, and repatriation insurance in effect for the entire duration of their EV status. A willful failure to carry insurance is considered to be a violation of the EVP regulations.
US Department of State Requirements
62.14 - Insurance
- medical benefits of at least $100,000 per accident or illness
- a co-payment not greater than 25% of the covered benefits per accident or illness
- a deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness
- a waiting period for pre-existing conditions that is reasonable by current industry standards
- coverage for activities inherent to the exchange program (i.e., flight training for an aviation school)
- repatriation of remains in an amount of $25,000
- expenses associated with the medical evacuation of the exchange visitor to his or her home country in the amount of $50,000
The Student Health Insurance Plan exceeds the US Department of State requirements
Coverage Period Options:
- Date of arrival to US or begin date of DS2019 through end date of DS2019 with the possibility of extending to departure from US, maximum 30 days*†
- Gap time from arrival to US or begin date of DS2019 to when UA employee medical benefits take effect
- Qualifying Life Events*†
†If you enroll and do not maintain your coverage through the end date of your appointment, you will not be allowed to reenroll onto the plan unless you have a new appointment.
Required Documentation to Enroll:
- Host department must arrange for an EMPLID
- Once EMPLID is obtained, submit Enrollment Application
Renewal Notices are sent to both the email address noted on your enrollment application and your @email.arizona.edu address.