for International Students
The University of Arizona requires all international students on non-immigrant visas (degree and non-degree seeking, resident or non-resident tuition) registered for at least one credit hour, to carry the UA Student Health Insurance Plan unless one qualifies for an exemption.
Exemption requests MUST be submitted to the Campus Health Insurance office each semester during the published open enrollment. Open enrollment notices are sent to your official UA email (@email.arizona.edu) address in compliance with The UA email policy.
Do not cancel coverage through your UAccess Student Center, you must submit an exemption request.
Failure to submit your exemption request by the deadline date will result in you paying the insurance premium.
2015 Fall – September 7, 2015
2016 Spring – January 27, 2016
Summer Pre-Session - May 27, 2015
2015 Summer Session I - June 22, 2015
2015 Summer Session II - July 27, 2015
If your policy meets the “Health Coverage Guidelines” and you fall into one of the categories below, submit the Exemption Request form and required documentation to our office securely to: https://www.health.arizona.edu/cgi-bin/secure/insform. Once received and reviewed, an email notification will be sent to your official UA email (@email.arizona.edu) address within ten business days informing you as to whether or not your request has been approved.
Exemptions cannot be made for Individual policies.
If you have a Government or Official Sponsor that provides health insurance for you. Family members are not an official sponsor under this provision.
View “List of Approved Sponsors”
2. If you (or your spouse or parent) have The University of Arizona, Arizona State University or Northern Arizona University employer health insurance. If you are employed by UAHN, follow instructions under #3.
3. If you (or your spouse or parent) have a US employer who provides health insurance for you.
If you gain US employment with health insurance benefits taking effect within 60 days of when the Student Health Insurance takes effect, email firstname.lastname@example.org with your circumstances.
4. If you are an exchange student who is provided a group health insurance policy through your home-university or organization coordinating your exchange. Note: not all home-universities/organizations allow for exemptions.
5. If you are outside the U.S. for a whole semester doing any of the following; Research, Thesis, Dissertation, Outbound Study Abroad or Distance Learning. The Health Coverage Agreement and documentation from your College verifying your circumstances will be required. F1 and J1 visa holders must meet with an Advisor at the International Student Services office (ISS) first to discuss how an exemption might affect your immigration status. Contact ISS at (520) 621-4427 or DSO@email.arizona.edu
6. Summer only - If you are transferring from another US university and enrolled under the universities sponsored Student Health Insurance Plan. That university must provide proof of insurance showing coverage period.
7. If you are registered for ONLY a summer pre-session course. Proof of other insurance coverage will be required.
Number (520) 621-5002 / Fax Number (520) 626-8616