for International Students
All exemption requests MUST be submitted to the Campus Health Insurance office during the published “Open Enrollment” and each semester thereafter. These “Open Enrollment” notices are communicated to you through your official University of Arizona email (@email.arizona.edu) address in compliance with The University of Arizona email policy. Failure to do so will result in you being liable for paying the insurance premium.
Cancellation of the Student Health Insurance is not permitted through your UAccess Student Center account.
you register for units in any of the following semesters,
your exemption request must be received by the deadline date.
2013 Fall – September 9, 2013
2014 Spring – January 29, 2014
Summer Pre-Session - May 22, 2013
2013 Summer Session I - June 17, 2013
2013 Summer Session II - July 22, 2013
If your policy meets the “Health Coverage Guidelines” and you fall into any of the listed categories below, please submit the Exemption Request form and required documentation to our office by fax, email or mail. Please include your name, student ID number and the semester in which you are requesting the exemption. Once received, you will be notified through your official university email (@email.arizona.edu) address within ten business days to let you know if your request has been approved.
cannot be made for Individual policies.
If you have a Government or Official Sponsor that provides health insurance for you. Family members are not an official sponsor under this provision.
View “List of Approved Sponsors”
2. If you (or your spouse or parent) have The University of Arizona, Arizona State University or Northern Arizona University employer health insurance.
3. If you (or your spouse or parent) have a US employer who provides health insurance for you.
If you gain US employment with health insurance benefits taking effect within 60 days of when the Student Health Insurance takes effect, email firstname.lastname@example.org with your circumstances.
4. If you are an exchange student who is provided a group health insurance policy through your home-university or organization coordinating your exchange. Note: not all home-universities/organizations allow for exemptions.
5. If you are outside the U.S. for a whole semester doing any of the following; Research, Thesis, Dissertation or Distance Learning. Documentation from your College verifying your circumstances will be required.
Important: If you are a registered student with an F1 or J1 visa, you must meet with an Advisor at the International Student Services office first to discuss how an exemption might affect your immigration status.
6. Summer only - If you are transferring from another US university and enrolled under the universities sponsored Student Health Insurance Plan. That university must provide proof of insurance showing coverage period.
7. If you are registered for ONLY a summer pre-session course. Proof of other insurance coverage will be required.
Number (520) 621-5002 / Fax Number (520) 626-8616